Saturday, June 16, 2018

National Park Junior Ranger Program - Outstanding

Thank you Wagner family!

The Wagner family talked to us about the National Park Junior Ranger Program.  We had not heard of it prior to our leaving on our trip; however, as soon as we arrived at Bad Lands National Park we investigated the program.

It was/is a hit!


Junior Ranger Program

The NP Junior Ranger Program is a terrific way to get children or young adults engaged in the outside world.  At some parks kids will pick up a colorful book that has activities related to the wildlife, history, and ecology of the park. Other parks, like Yellowstone National Park, also asks the young people to participate in a "program" that they offer at the visitor's center.  Below - my Princess Warrior is participating in the Yellowstone Olympics (against the animals of the park). Once the young person has completed all of the requirements, he or she brings his or her booklet back to the visitors' center and presents it to a Park Ranger.  The Ranger asks them questions, provides clarifications if needed, and then swears them in as a Junior Ranger and gives them a badge!  My ten year old daughter is loving it!

Thank you National Park Rangers!

Todd Whitaker, the well known educational guru (follow his twitter here), states that "It is the People, NOT the Programs" that make something successful. That has sure been true at the four parks that we have been to so far.

At Yellowstone NP, I waited in line for a whole EIGHT minutes while two National Park Rangers assisted other customers in front of me.  The Rangers were both talking with children too!  When my daughter and I were finally greeted, I thanked the Ranger for the amount of time it took before he talked with us.  He was 100% present with the previous person, and I knew he would be 100% present with my daughter and me!  The Park Rangers have been phenomenal! They are making my daughter's day and our trip wonderful!


No comments:

Post a Comment